Tourism and activities both in summer and in winter in Valfréjus, in Savoy, close to the Vanoise National Nature park
Activities and tourism close to the Vanoise National Park in the Savoy
The Vanoise National Nature Park
Situated in the Rhône-Alps, in the Savoy, the Vanoise National Park is a highly-protected natural zone surrounded by villages who play a leading role in its conservation.
The heart of the park is made up of 535 km² and is bordered by 29 surrounding towns. It is an exceptional area made up of :
- Flora : 1200 species, of which 200 are noteworthy and numerous other protected species
- Fauna : 1 600 ibex, 4 000 chamois, 120 nesting birds and numerous other protected species
- Population : 36 900 inhabitants
- 2 vallées : la Tarentaise où coule l'Isère - la Maurienne où coule l'Arc
- 2 valleys : The Tarentaise and the Isère river - The Maurienne and the Arc river
In Summer : 600 km of trails – amongst which are the GR 5, the GR 55 and the Via Alpina
Valfréjus is a suburb of Modane in the Savoy. It nestles in the middle of larch and spruce trees and takes nature seriously. The wooden-facaded buildings, in the resort, with their flat-stone roofs mirror the environment.
The Mont Thabor, at 3178m altitude, is at the peak of the resort and offers nature lovers a panoramic view of the wide, open spaces and surrounding mountains.
The resort is open in both Summer and Winter and offers a range of different activities.
Summer Activities and Practical Information
The Maurienne Valley has an abundance of Summer activities to choose from :
- Nature : The resort is in the Maurienne Valley, nestled in the middle of larch and spruce, opposite the Vanoise National Park. Access to the Arrondaz plateau at 2200m altitude is by the 8 seat cable-car giving you an exceptional panoramic view of the Vanoise National Park. Access to 2737m (Punta Bagna) is possible 2 days per week.
- Sports : Hiking, mountain-biking, rock-climbing, via ferrata, canyoning, rafting, river walks, fishing, archery, horse-riding, tennis, mini-golf, swimming…
- Cultural outings and visits : the Charmaix chapel, The Replaton, the St Gobain Fort, the Esseillon Forts, the Maison Penchée, the Crossing of the Alps Museum, visits to Turin.
- Shows and Concerts : The Maison du Thabor is a recreational hall and an exhibition centre. This beautiful hall is also used for : shows, concerts, films about the surrounding mountains, conferences and talks on the Vanoise National Park…
Please note ! Before and after the official Summer season, shops may be closed and activities are not guaranteed.
Links to :
Winter Activities and Practical Information
As Valfréjus has a ski area with a particularly good snow-coverage, it is the perfect resort for many different types of Winter activities.
- Valfréjus has 65 km of ski runs. Artificial snow (76 snow guns) guarantees you the possibility of skiing to the door of your residence.
- The ESKI-MO ski pass: 4 resorts, 300 km of ski runs,1 ski pass … VALFREJUS - AUSSOIS - LA NORMA - VALCENIS VANOISE. Shuttles between these resorts are provided.
- Ski Safari
- Speed Riding
- A natural ice-skating rink of 450 m² in the centre of the resort
- Games room
- Cultural visits (Chapelle de la Vierge noire du Charmaix, Maison penchée,...)
- The Tourist Office and the ski schools offer various activities for children!
- The resort has a crèche « Les Diablotins » for children from 3 months old to 3 years old
- The Smurf Village and the Mouse Club are for older children
Links to :